søndag 22. januar 2012

"Lamb to the Salughter" by Roald Dahl


The best books I read as a child was written by Roald  Dahl, because they are so well written and easy to understand. "Matilda", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Witches" were the ones I enjoyed reading the most, I am sure I've read them  at least three times each. However, today in class we read "Lamb to the Slaughter" and later saw the dramatizing of it by Alfred Hitchcock. I am not sure if I have read or seen it before, but it was something about it that made me wonder if I have. I must say that I enjoyed reading it rather than watching it, mainly because there are some differences and I liked the version of Roald Dahl better.
Mary Maloney and one of the policemen in the background
Published in 1953, the novel gives us an insight in how it was like to be a married couple at the time. Mary Maloney is like usual prepared for her husband to come home from work, but this time something is different. There is a peculiar atmosphere filling the room as he walks in, and from the way he acts we can assume that he is going to leave her. Here is one point where I liked the novel better, because  Roald Dahl leaves the thinking to the reader , while Hitchcock's dramatizing confirms it immediately. Further, Mrs. Maloney walks in to the kitchen to make her husband supper, and comes out with a club of lamb. While Mr. Maloney is standing with his back towards her, she knocks the club on the back of his head and he falls over. The story ends when the policemen eat the roasted lamb, not knowing that it is the murder weapon they are putting into their mouths. Another thing that made the film less good, was the way Mary Maloney acted and her appearance . It wasn't what I had imagined from the reading, I imagined her to be more skinny and calm. I actually think that she was kind of annoying and not the perfect match of Mary Maloney. 

1 kommentar:

  1. Many have read and enjoyed Roald Dahl's books for children. He certainly had a vivid imagination. Ant that is true with his short stories too. I think we all agreed that the short story was better than the Hitchcock version.

    SvarSlett